• Newlyn Archive open days

    Partner institutions like the Newlyn Art Gallery and Penlee House Gallery have participated in Newlyn Archive Open Days.

    Here a member of the team at Newlyn Art Gallery works with a child on a project about Seaside Voices at the Open Day Faces of Newlyn held in January 2010.

  • friends of the Newlyn Archive

    Amongst the Friends of the Archive, are a number of people who are willing to display and discuss their very
    considerable private archives at the Open Days.

    Here a small group of Friends listen to Jeff Richards (seated middle) as he shows his album of Newlyn
    postcards at the Open Day Fishing at Newlyn held in February 2010.

  • Friends of the Archive

    Friends of the Archive elect a committee of volunteers that includes a chairman, treasurer, secretary, and six
    ordinary committee members, four of whom take responsibility for membership, local liaison, publicity and
    telephone contact. The archivist is an ex officio member of the committee.

    Here is treasurer, Ron Hogg outside the Fishermen’s Rest where the archive held its exhibition as part of theParty on the Pier in March 2012.

  • Newlyn Archive open days

    Four annual Open Days, with free admission, focus on a chosen theme, and enable people to enjoy and learn from the archive holdings.

    Here are people at the Newlyn Family Open Day held in November 2011; they are engrossed with the old school photographs showing classes from the Wesleyan School, Newlyn Board School, Trewarveneth Infants andTolcarne School (now Newlyn School).

  • Jan Ruhrmund

    The Archive also provides exhibition material at annual public events held locally such as the Newlyn Fish Festival and the Party on the Pier (British Tourism) or at one‐off events such as the Passmore Edward Centenary that was held at Newlyn Art Gallery in 2011.

    Here is Jan Ruhrmund the Penzance Mayor signing the visitors book with Pam Lomax (seated) at the Newlyn Fish Festival, August 2010.

  • Newlyn Archive activities

    A wide range of people including young people are involved in particular projects, both learning from and contributing to their community archive.

    Here the children from Newlyn School are accompanied by archive secretary Mary Ellery on a walk along the Tolcarne Stream as part of the Bygone Newlyn Project in 2011.

  • Become a Friend of the Newlyn Archive.

    Friends of the Newlyn Archive are actively involved in creating and fashioning the Newlyn Archive by participating in events, adding to the archive resources, or taking responsibility for research in particular areas of the archive.

    Linda Holmes is a Friend of the Archive whose Penwith family roots go back to the seventeenth century. Here she is with membership secretary Diane Tredinnick talking to a visitor at the June 2010 Open Day Newlyn at War.

  • The Newlyn Archive is a collection of material about Newlyn.

    The purpose of the archive is to collect, preserve, store and share stories, documents, and pictures relating to the history of Newlyn from distant times until today.

    William Badcock was one of the crew of seven men who sailed the lugger Mystery to Australia in 1854. Here he is back in Newlyn with his wife Harriet.

main-archive-up

art-archive-up

Lamorna Archive

Print

Open Day ‘A Hundred Years Ago’ 17/6/2017

Posted in Newlyn Archive Events

Website

The Open Day focusses on events that happened 'A Hundred Years Ago' in 1917 and in the years of the Great War. The pen sketch above was done by Swedish artist Rolf Jonssen (1888-1965) while in Pendennis jail on a charge of spying for the enemy during WW1. Rolf was married to Annie Payne (1894-1965) from Newlyn Town who had modelled for artists like Walter Langley. Her father was Horace Payne, a fisherman who owned his own boat and her mother was Annie E Richards. When the couple married about 1911, Rolf's father, who owned a Swedish shipping line, built a house for them. The Chalet in the Ropewalk at Newlyn was based on the Jonssen summer home Saro near Gothenburg.

Unfortunately, in 1915, with the outbreak of war, life took a turn for the worse. The Chalet, where Rolf and Annie lived was in a sensitive position being just above the WW1 Sea plane base at Sandy Cove which hosted Newlyn/Land's End Royal Naval Air Service Station. Rolf was accused of signalling with coloured lights to the enemy and he spent three months in Pendennis Castle before the trial came up and he was proved innocent. It transpired that he had been walking with a torch between rooms in his home which had different coloured curtains. Apparently, Stanhope Forbes had a great deal to do with his defence. Later, Rolf received a Royal pardon, but he and the family left Newlyn vowing never to return.

The Open Day shows archive material about Newlyn and its people in 1917. Did you know that The Try, a trawler working out of Newlyn was sunk in March 1917 by a German submarine, when she was fishing south of the Wolf? On board were the skipper Edward (Ned) Ridge, his son William, son in law Alfred Hurr and another Newlyn boy, Thomas Eddy. Alfred Hurr lived to tell the story and we have pictures of PH 40 The Try to show.

The Open Day also tells the story of the artists from Newlyn and Lamorna (some too old to enlist) who played their parts during the Great War and shows some of the pictures painted during the war.

Most important, for the future move of the Archive to The Admiralty Boathouse, is the story of Newlyn Harbour during the War. The archive is fortunate to hold the Harbour records for the war years and some of this is on display at the Open Day. For example, did you know that the Brigantine Sea Witch sank in the mouth of Newlyn harbour in 1917? That the salvage team for the owners gave up because the wreck was too difficult to remove? That the harbour authorities did not have the men, money or equipment to remove the wreck? Come to the Open Day to hear what happened next!

There will be other events at the Open Day besides the Display Boards and show of old film footage. The Mousehole Archive has a table and a display about Mousehole and Paula and Jim, our experts on Charles Simpson will be bringing some of his work to show.

Most important Shauna will be recording oral testimonies for a film to celebrate the 'official' opening of the Boat House as the new home of the Newlyn Archive in September.

Please download the poster for 'A Hundred Years Ago' Saturday June 17, 2017 10-3.00 by clicking on the PDF file below and saving it to your computer.

pdfPoster_June_19.pdf03/06/2017, 13:45

Print

Reviews April 2017

Posted in Newlyn Archive News

1892 JL

The photo shows the 34ft long Ripple SS 19 leading Rippling Wave SS 628 out of St Ives prior to World War I when fishing under sail. Ripple was built at St Ives and registered as SS 19 in 1896. During World War I, this 34ft sailing pilchard driver helped to feed the nation when the enemy blockade was in place and the steam drifters and trawlers had been requisitioned by the Navy.

Ripple SS 19 was moored behind the Old Quay at Newlyn for the Painting Day held there on Saturday 11 March. The Newlyn Archive supported the festivities for this third Painting Day, occupying the old Fishermen's Rest building on the land side of the medieval quay. This building originally provided an alternative meeting place for the local fishermen when they could no longer use rooms situated at the bottom of Church St. It was thanks mainly to the Rev Harold Hoskins that planning permission was granted retrospectively after it was built by volunteers, in stone provided by the Penlee Quarry in 1966. The two harmoniums inside would have been donated by St Peter's church in Newlyn thus affording the building a religious character. This year the building hosted display boards from the Archive depicting the history of the Newlyn fishing industry and celebrating the beautiful old Luggers that lie at the heart of the Painting Day festivities.

The tradition of Painting Days started in 2011 with the aim of celebrating the contribution made to the community by these former working vessels by inviting artists to spend time sketching and painting them in the context of the harbour. This would coincide with the annual restoration painting of the Luggers, Happy Return, Ripple and Barnabas by their owners and maintainers: a bringing together of the worlds of commerce and art. This year the Ripple and Happy Return were moored and ready to be painted; prime examples of vessels from the fleets that were the life blood of the local community in former times. Sketching and painting took place throughout the day and visitors enjoyed the displays and photographs from the Archive in the Fishermen's Rest building nearby. Friend of the Archive, John Lambourn was helpful in explaining how important it is to celebrate the heritage of these fine working boats which provided work for the entire community. Some would build and repair them; others made and mended the nets and sails; and women mainly would deal with and later cure the catch. Essentially the boats were the lifeblood of the community. The idea for the day grew originally from John's plan to bring the boats 'to life' by allowing artists to paint them in their iconic setting and so to celebrate their history and significance.

Did you know that there are only three original West Cornish double ended (sharp sterned) fishing luggers known about today, the Barnabas SS 634 at Penzance, the Ripple SS 19 at Newlyn and the Rosalind (ex-Susan SS 185) in Maine, USA?

John Lambourn was responsible for bringing the Ripple to Newlyn and undertaking her renovation so that now she is a sea-worthy vessel. One of his missions is to preserve old luggers. At Newlyn, there is a site, the knowledge, the experience, the skills and the enthusiasm to give them a new lease of life as sailing luggers, perhaps making Newlyn the centre for these historic old vessels. John's latest exploit is to rescue and preserve a Cornish relic now languishing at Chesapeake Bay USA awaiting the chain saw if nothing is done, the double ended St Ives sailing fishing lugger, Rosalind.

Rosalind was built as SS 185 Susan by the renowned William Paynter at his boatyard near the Customs House, St Ives and registered as a lugger in 1903 for owner-skipper William Jennings. Her keel was 36.3 feet long and her overall length 39.4 feet with a beam of 12.5 feet, depth of 5.8 feet and tonnage of 19.37. At just under 40 feet long she was very like the Barnabas. She had different owners and changes of name before becoming Rosalind FY 26 in 1919 when she was sold to skipper John Behenna of Mevagissey. In 1921 and 1922 Rosalind was listed among the huge fishing fleet at Newlyn. When war came, she fished at Mevagissey. Changing owners several times, she was converted to a leisure vessel in 1992 and rigged as a gaff schooner yacht for Richard Griffiths on the East Coast of the USA.

With the death of her owner, the boat is threatened with demolition, and plans are in hand to bring her home to Cornwall. John Lambourn has started an appeal to raise £12,000 towards the cost of transporting the lugger to Newlyn. The transport would be in three stages, by road to Baltimore, shipping in a container to Southampton and a final road transport leg to Newlyn.

If you can help, please be generous. Donations should be made to: The Rosalind Rescue Appeal, c/o West Cornwall Lugger Industry Trust Ltd, Barclays Bank, sort code 20-67-19 a/c 00498092. For more information call 01736 366 868.

IMG 9639

The photo was taken at our most recent Open Day, On the Other Side, which took place in The Centre from 10am until 3pm on Saturday, 1st April 2017. It shows Diane Tredinnick selling second-hand books, and raising an amazing £77.80 for the Archive. Behind her is our family history expert Diane Donohue. In the distance, Denny Harvey is showing fascinating films, including dramatic footage of the Torrey Canyon bombing and coastal devastation at the time. Films of smuggling and the Newlyn riots were also enjoyed and a Time Team programme about a prehistoric Fogou near St Buryan.

There were 131 visitors keen to read the display boards and study the filed resources of letters and photographs available. A raffle previously started in The Boathouse raised £63 and was won by a resident from Tolcarne. The prize was a handsome wooden board depicting a map of Great Britain together with the sea areas of the Shipping Forecast handcrafted by the late Mike 'Butts' Buttery of Mousehole.

Some visitors had expected the exhibition to be held at The Boathouse. The Boathouse is not large enough for a major exhibition, so even when we occupy the Boathouse (hopefully in May) we will still be holding four major exhibitions each year at Trinity Centre.

Please put the next exhibition dates at Trinity in your diary.

Saturday June 17, 2017 10-3.00. A Hundred Years Ago

Saturday September 2, 2017 10-3.00. The People who made the Harbour at Newlyn: Designers, builders, harbour masters and fishermen

Saturday October 21, 2017 10-3.00. Newlyn in uniform: the armed forces, nurses, scouts and many others.