The Open Day focusses on events that happened 'A Hundred Years Ago' in 1917 and in the years of the Great War. The pen sketch above was done by Swedish artist Rolf Jonssen (1888-1965) while in Pendennis jail on a charge of spying for the enemy during WW1. Rolf was married to Annie Payne (1894-1965) from Newlyn Town who had modelled for artists like Walter Langley. Her father was Horace Payne, a fisherman who owned his own boat and her mother was Annie E Richards. When the couple married about 1911, Rolf's father, who owned a Swedish shipping line, built a house for them. The Chalet in the Ropewalk at Newlyn was based on the Jonssen summer home Saro near Gothenburg.
Unfortunately, in 1915, with the outbreak of war, life took a turn for the worse. The Chalet, where Rolf and Annie lived was in a sensitive position being just above the WW1 Sea plane base at Sandy Cove which hosted Newlyn/Land's End Royal Naval Air Service Station. Rolf was accused of signalling with coloured lights to the enemy and he spent three months in Pendennis Castle before the trial came up and he was proved innocent. It transpired that he had been walking with a torch between rooms in his home which had different coloured curtains. Apparently, Stanhope Forbes had a great deal to do with his defence. Later, Rolf received a Royal pardon, but he and the family left Newlyn vowing never to return.
The Open Day shows archive material about Newlyn and its people in 1917. Did you know that The Try, a trawler working out of Newlyn was sunk in March 1917 by a German submarine, when she was fishing south of the Wolf? On board were the skipper Edward (Ned) Ridge, his son William, son in law Alfred Hurr and another Newlyn boy, Thomas Eddy. Alfred Hurr lived to tell the story and we have pictures of PH 40 The Try to show.
The Open Day also tells the story of the artists from Newlyn and Lamorna (some too old to enlist) who played their parts during the Great War and shows some of the pictures painted during the war.
Most important, for the future move of the Archive to The Admiralty Boathouse, is the story of Newlyn Harbour during the War. The archive is fortunate to hold the Harbour records for the war years and some of this is on display at the Open Day. For example, did you know that the Brigantine Sea Witch sank in the mouth of Newlyn harbour in 1917? That the salvage team for the owners gave up because the wreck was too difficult to remove? That the harbour authorities did not have the men, money or equipment to remove the wreck? Come to the Open Day to hear what happened next!
There will be other events at the Open Day besides the Display Boards and show of old film footage. The Mousehole Archive has a table and a display about Mousehole and Paula and Jim, our experts on Charles Simpson will be bringing some of his work to show.
Most important Shauna will be recording oral testimonies for a film to celebrate the 'official' opening of the Boat House as the new home of the Newlyn Archive in September.
Please download the poster for 'A Hundred Years Ago' Saturday June 17, 2017 10-3.00 by clicking on the PDF file below and saving it to your computer.
The next Open Day 'On the Other Side' is on Saturday April 1 2017 at Trinity Centre, Chywoone Hill, Newlyn from 10.00-3.00. The topic 'On the Other Side' conjures a multitude of views of Old Newlyn.
Certainly, the marching policemen in the photo above, were on the other side when the fishermen of Newlyn, Mousehole, Porthleven and St Ives protested about East Coast men fishing on the Sabbath and flooding the Monday market with their fish. A heavy chain was fixed across Newlyn harbour entrance and the baulks were put down at Mousehole. At Newlyn, the men boarded the boats that had come in during the night and threw the fish overboard...
'We were pious and stern, as our forefathers were,
We honoured the Sabbath day,
But the Eastern men made harvest hen,
And landed the fish on our kay,
And what use to shut with a mackerel glut
When our boats put out to say?'
But 'The Other Side' conjures much more than the Newlyn Riots of 1896. In the exhibition, we have tried to find examples of 'the other side' from earliest times to more recent times. We deal with the Spanish Invasion, 1595; Mousehole people's rejection of Newlyn in the cholera epidemic of 1832; a Newlyn Sea Captain walking the plank in 1850; the Welcome Stranger, 1869; fishermen dabbling with contraband in 1883; the sad case of Rolf Jonssen during WW1; Penzance, on the other side of the Rugby field, 1927; the Newlyn Clearances, 1937; Hulks, refugees and evacuees in WW2; the Torrey Canyon disaster, 1967; and Haul for the Shore, 1980.
There will also be films to watch, files and folders to explore, experts to consult, and much else, so do join us.
Download the Poster Poster_5.pdf21/03/2017, 11:45
The photo above shows the erection of a second shed at the Seaplane Base at Sandy Cove in 1917 by the local builder George Curnow.
The next two-day Open Day 'They came, They Stayed and They Left' is on Friday September 30 2016 from 2-7, and Saturday October 1 2016 from 10-3.00. It contains material from the archive about the people who came to the area for a time, often contributed a great deal, then left.
Amongst other topics, it showcases the marauding Spaniards who burnt Newlyn, Mousehole and Penzance, three of the vicars of St Peter's Church in the Coombe who made lasting contributions to the local area, the airbase that occupied Sandy Cove in WW1, artists who came to Newlyn and Lamorna but did not stay, the Belgian fishermen and other evacuees who took refuge at Newlyn in WW2, shops that have opened and closed, and trades like quarrying and boat-building that once flourished in the area.
The Mousehole Archive will present material about their one-time resident Dylan Thomas.
There will be a tribute to Adam Kerr, who was the Patron of the Lamorna Society until his recent death.
On Friday evening starting at 7.30 in the Wheal Betsy Room at Trinity Centre, there is a talk by archivist Pam Lomax about Henry Scott Tuke who first came to Newlyn in 1879, visited for a number of years, then decided that his permanent home would be Falmouth. The talk covers the years he spent in Newlyn and explores the places where he stayed and the local people that he met. There will be a £3 entry fee at the door towards archive costs.
Do download the poster for the Open Day.
The photo of WJ Olds, Butcher in his horse-drawn cart outside the Kings Arms, Paul is just one of the many examples of T0-ING and FRO-ING in the exhibition at the next Newlyn Archive Open Day 'To-ing and Fro-ing: getting there and getting back' at Trinity Centre on Saturday July 16 2016, 10-3.00.
The Exhibition tells the story of transport through the ages as it affected the people who lived at Newlyn and round about Newlyn.
First and foremost, were the fishing boats like the lugger PE 233 Mystery that took seven men to Australia in 1854.
For speed and sea worthiness, Newlyn luggers could not be excelled. In 1885 a Newlyn lugger sailed from Scarborough in less than 72 hours. In 1890 three luggers sailed the 600 miles to Scarborough in 70 hours.
As the fishing industry prospered and the new piers were built there were 'Bird' boats with names like Auk, Albatross, Crane, Drake, Gannet, Guillemot, Mallard, Petrel, Philomel, Raven, and Stork that took pilchards from Newlyn to Genoa
From earliest times, fishing was the most important industry in Newlyn. Horse-drawn vehicles took fish from the fish auctions on the beach at Newlyn to Penzance station for dispatch to the London markets. Before the 1914 war most people at Newlyn relied on these carrier's carts or on horse drawn wagonettes. Blanche Brown, who was born in 1906 explained that if a woman could afford 2d for a ride to market in the wagonette she would do so, but halfway up Morrab Road she had to get out and walk the steepest part, as the wagonette was pulled by a single horse. Once the wagonette got to the flat, the passengers could get in again; and coming home, they could board the wagon at the top of Morrab Road and ride straight through to the bridge in Newlyn.
Newlyn did not have its first motor bus until December 1919, run by the Hitchens family at Tolcarne. The bus ran from the First and Last Hotel in Penzance through Newlyn and on to Mousehole. The vehicle, registered AF2381, was named Porth Enys, the old name for Mousehole. In 1922 there was competition from the Harvey family of Mousehole who set up their own bus company, and in 1926 the Western National Omnibus Company set up its headquarters at Wherry Town.
There was to-ing and fro-ing below ground as many Newlyn men worked in the mines when fishing was bad. The off-shore Wherry Mine had a long timber trestle over the sea for access. In other mines on the North Coast, miners who worked deep down could have travelled on the reciprocating man engine, which sometimes took as long as 50 minutes to get to the bottom of the shaft, with the men stepping on and off at regular intervals. Below ground there might have been a tramway with wagons to load the tin and sometimes there would be donkeys to pull the heavy wheeled containers.
Janner Maddern to-ed and fro-ed as he drove the engine named after him from Penlee Quarry to Newlyn's South Pier pulling wagons full of stone to load on to the 'Brook' stone boats, which had names like Caernarvonbrook, Chesterbrook, Clarebrook, Corkbrook, Cornishbrook, Dorsetbrook, Glenbrook, Somersetbrook, Stirlingbrook, Warwickbrook, Westminsterbrook, Winchesterbrook, and Worcesterbrook.
The Exhibition gives many other glimpses of 'to-ing and fro-ing' and there will be display books and film shows on the day so please 'To and Fro' to Trinity Centre on Saturday. You can downlaod the poster by clicking on the PDF file below.
- The Building of Newlyn Harbour, April 2016
- Archive Open Day February 2016
- Where the Artists Lived in Newlyn and Lamorna, 2-3 October 2015
- When the Quarry Guns Sounded July 18 2015
- Farming, the Forgotten Trade, 11/4/2015
- Archive Open Day February 7 2015
- 'When the Lights went Out' November 8, 2014
- When Newlyners Walked To Lamorna Cove 3-4 October 2014
- Belonging to be… July 19 2014
- Newlyn and the Sea, April 2014
- Those that Got Away: the Story of Newlyn’s Migrants, February 2014
- Newlyn Art Industries Open Day, November 2013
- The Newlyn Art Industries
- Open Day, Fishing out of Newlyn, Friday July 5 and Saturday July 6, 9.30-3.30
- Open Day Church, Chapel and Playtime, Saturday 27 April 2013
- Painters and Posers
- The shops that grandma used