Institutions & Organisations

Newlyn Institutions and Organisations
The Girls Friendly Society (GFS) on their Maypole Dancers Float returning home after the Carnival in 1952 (Archive reference 860)

The photo shows the Girls Friendly Society (GFS) on their Maypole Dancers Float returning home after the Carnival in 1952 (Archive reference 860). All the girls in the picture are named on an archive copy of the photo. The GFS was the female equivalent of the Boys Brigade and was a C of E organisation. It was located at St Peter’s Church and was run by Sister Alice. 

This section of the archive catalogue lists information about Newlyn’s Institutions and Organisations. Church and Chapel have been amongst the most important institutions in Newlyn and their activities have involved the whole community in the past. Organisations include the British Legion and the Women’s Institute and more latterly the Newlyn Environment Group and the Newlyn Association.

Downloads Institutions & Organisations PDF