John Passmore Edwards commissioned the building of an art gallery at Newlyn in 1895 on land that was given by Charles D N Le Grice. The drawing to the left (archive reference 903) shows the original intention of the architect James Hicks of Redruth, although his plans were modified before the building was completed.
The WCAA contains material about Art Resources and the Art Galleries associated with West Cornwall, most importantly the Newlyn Art Gallery (NAG), Penlee House, Falmouth Art Gallery and Galleries in St. Ives. There is information about the activities, exhibitions and people associated with these galleries, such as the Newlyn Society of Artists (NSA). There is also a list of major exhibitions held elsewhere that have featured West Cornwall Artists. A great deal of the material related to this topic came from the West Cornwall Art Archive bequest and consists of articles, cards , cuttings, exhibition details, guidebooks, invitations, leaflets, letters, lists, photos, posters, programmes and reports.WCAA