This was a popular well attended Open Day celebrating the bravery of the RNLI volunteers from the late 19th century through to the present day. Visitors from Mousehole also presented their own boards and an excellent exhibition. There was in addition a separate display concerning the Ocean Pride restoration project.
The lifeboat Elizabeth and Blanche 2 returns to Newlyn Harbour after the rescue of the full crew of 13 men from the Norwegian barque Saluto, which was blown ashore near Porthleven on December 13, 1911. This is one of many stories told at the next Newlyn Archive Open Day on Saturday 24 March 2018 at Trinity Centre Newlyn.
The dark green wooden shop located in the centre of Newlyn close to the War Memorial is no longer in existence. On Monday 5 February 2018 the demolition men arrived and by late afternoon on 7 February 2018 David Barron’s shop had disappeared.
Generations of Newlyners bought their sweets, cigarettes, magazines, papers and much more from the shop for as long as almost anyone can remember. The shop was set up by David’s father, Jonce Barron, in 1920 and David took over from him for a few days when his father was ill. Fifty odd years later the shop was finally closed.
During the Second World War the Navy developed a new technology to find enemy submarines underwater. This was called ‘ASDIC’, and was based on the understanding that sound signals could be transmitted into the water and any echo would be heard if the sound wave hit a solid enough target. The echo could be detected by a hydrophone and displayed on a suitable display screen, showing distance from sound source to sound echo and also the direction that the sound source was sent away.
The collage above celebrates the final opening of the Boathouse in 2017, when Friends of the Archive provided light refreshments for visitors and there was some mulled wine on hand. We were closed for a Christmas break from 22nd December until 2nd January but are now in full swing again.